NewsMeat has list of Abramoff briberys
|$172,933 = Republican|
|$88,985 = special interest|
Chris Matthews is also implicated in Abramoff scandal. No wonder his reporting is all skewed. There are a couple of FoxNews reporters implicated too but - does any expect less? Kos weighs in here.
As far as the religious right, they're not above inpropriety either. Those implicated include:
- Rev. Lou Sheldon, founder of the California-based Traditional Values Coalition
- Ralph Reed, the former executive director of the Christian Coalition
- Rabbi Daniel Lapin's, Seattle based Orthodox Jewish foundation, Toward Tradition
I guess this should be fun to watch. But my bet is that - Maybe one or two low lying fruit get sacrificed while the biggest crooks wiggle away with a boatload of our tax dollars on to a happy retirement or even higher office. There is already a whiff of stank in the air surrounding this prosecution.
While it is not clear that Reed, Sheldon and Lapin did anything illegal; it is certainly clear that their organizations all received funds from eLottery and that they worked with Abramoff to defeat the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act -- a bill that was supported by the Christian Coalition, Moral Majority, and James Dobson of Focus on the Family.
The corruption probe may prove that a number of Members of Congress were for sale. It may have already proved that some leaders of the Religious Right are for sale as well -- although that may not be illegal.
You may also want to read these informative diaries:
- The Real Abramoff Scandal: A Viewer's Guide - basically a how it was done guide with background on K-Street Project
- Bush's connections to Abramoff. In 2002 Bush Obstructed Justice For Jack, Recount Bill NEVER PAID - Abramoffs ties to the administrations inner working and how he used those connections to his and his clients benefits
- For the Children - Delays phoney charites and their connections to Abramoffs phoney charities