« Home | New Years 2006 » 

Monday, January 02, 2006 

Scary Quote / Scary Thoughts

Virtually all the things Nixon did against me that were illegal to keep me from exposing his secret policy are now legal under the Patriot Act. Going into my doctor's office to get information to blackmail me with, wiretaps without warrants, overhearing me--all legal now. The CIA supplied the burglars in my doctor's office with disguises and with cameras and they did a psychological profile on me. That was illegal then, legal now. -Daniel Ellsberg


Scary, huh? It seems obvious that the Bush presidential wiretaps (like Nixons) are being used to go after enemies of the administration, if they were using it to go after terrorist why no warrant? FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) specifically empowers the Attorney General or his designee to start wiretapping on an emergency basis even without a warrant so long as a retroactive application is made for one "as soon as practicable, but not more than 72 hours after the Attorney General authorizes such surveillance." (see specific citation, here). Why else would a President sidestep the law, the constitution and his Presidential Oath? And now they are going after whistleblowers at the NYT (even though they sat on the info until way after the election, I wonder what kind of threats they recieved?)

(Hat Tip: Talking Points Memo and Suskind at DailyKos - read these diaries for more detailed info)

About me

  • I'm Cindy

Previous posts

Sites I like:

    Ohio Politics
    Candidate or District Blogs
    Not Just Political
    Progressive Org. Blogs
    National Politics
    Other Places I Blog
    Just for Fun


Add to Google
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Add to My AOL