« Home | Noone told LA officials there was a terrorist plot... » | Zillow.com - Neat! » | Your children are not your children » | Bush buried detailed Social Security privatization... » | Interview with Retired CIA Agent Robert Baer of Sy... » | Another Incompetent Bush Crony Outed » | Uh Oh - Buckeye Senate is taking on the PD. » | Gasp - Hackett voted for Republicans! » | Brown calls out the Bush Budget, Hackett throws a ... » | More votes counted than voters on Ohio Diebold Mac... » 

Friday, February 10, 2006 

Flesh Eating Bacteria in Cleveland? Testing for germs...

John Carroll University biology professor Valerie Flechtner went testing for germs in Cleveland and found Staphylococcus aureus. A form of this bacteria is responsible for causing a young pregnant woman in Florida (Claudia Mejia) to arrive at the CCF Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems to give birth and had her leaving 12 days later a quadruple amputee. Scary stuff. The hospital is refusing to give up much information which makes me suspect she might have contracted the deadly bacteria while at the hospital, maybe from an employee? (Obviously, pure speculation on my part comprised of an overactive imagination, a good fight or flight mechanism and very little medical knowledge.)

Most of the time the bacteria is completely harmless.

Here are JCU professor Valerie Flectchers findings (Via: NewsNet5):

She went to the Heights Parenting Center, where she swabbed cars, toys and all kinds of things looking for pathogens.

None were found.

"Once a small toy is washed and placed in a small plastic bag, I couldn't detect any bacteria at all on it, even when I went to extreme measures," said Flechtner.

She did the same thing at a local McDonald's. Flechtner swabbed the play station.

Although she did find plenty of germs in the shoe cubby, it wasn't anything too bad.

"I wouldn't bleach them, but I would certainly wash them frequently," Flechtner said.

At the main library downtown, she swabbed books and a globe that came up clean.

But when Flechtner got on an elevator, she found a staphylococcus aureus on a button.

She said it's relatively harmless bacteria from your nose, but it could make someone sick.

"If it stays in your nose your immune system takes care of it," Flechtner said.

If staphylococcus aureus infects other parts of your body, it can be deadly.

That almost happened to a John Carroll student.

"(She) ended up in the Cleveland Clinic almost two weeks, underwent four surgeries, lost the entire muscle that goes from the back to one arm and for a while they thought they might have to amputate the arm or that she might even die," Flechtner said.

Staphylococcus aureus is resistant to antibiotics.

Flechtner found antibiotic-resistant bacteria at almost all of the test sites, even the clean ones.

Those resistant bacteria by themselves are no threat, but they can pass their resistant traits on to more dangerous bacteria and that is a problem.

"Bacteria are tricky little creatures. They have figured numbers of ways to transmit DNA from one cell to another, not only in the same species, but they are kinky, they can go cross-species," Flechtner said.

So, don't forget to wash your hands!

Tags:, ,