Sherrod Brown - Securing our Borders "DeWine on the Sidelines"
Tags:[Sherrod Brown], [Mike DeWine], [UAE], [terrorism]
"Beginning last Friday, I made stops across Ohio in Cleveland, Toledo, and Youngstown demanding the Administration halt all trade talks with the UAE and have called for a stronger national security review of all U.S. trade agreements in the future. In a post 9/11 world, trade is no longer just an economic development vehicle. U.S. trade agreements are now an integral part of our national security.
In addition, I am calling for better Congressional oversight on trade agreements -- for too long Republicans in Congress have served as a rubber stamp to the White House thirst for outsourcing. I will continue to travel across Ohio promoting policies that will secure our borders and keep Ohio families safe.
Go to my website to read the latest dispatches from the road and see video from my appearance on Lou Dobbs about the UAE controversy:
"Our current Senator, Mike DeWine, was virtually silent on the issue all week until he told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Friday, "We have to take a good look at this thing."
Well, I've already taken a good look at "this thing" and I don't like what I see:
* Two of the 9/11 hijackers were from the UAE.
* Terrorist operatives used the UAE as a financial and travel hub.
* The UAE was one of the few nations to recognize the Taliban as a legitimate government.
* The 9/11 Commission's report contains warnings about the UAE's previous support for terrorism.
* The Congressional Research Service names UAE as a point of shipment for illegal nuclear components.
* Even George Bush's own State Department says, "Americans in the United Arab Emirates should exercise a high level of security awareness."
Ohio needs a U.S. Senator that will stand firm against trade deals that compromise homeland security. Mike DeWine won't. I will.