« Home | Why We Fight. » | Who do the Independents like? Regionalism, CrossOv... » | Education most important issue to Ohio Republicans... » | Morning Round Up of Ohio Progressive Blogs (Monday... » | Great start to spring (Visiting a red county) » | Why the Left is Right - Liberal Quotes » | Maybe we should do this :-) Unprecedented 50 State... » | Morning Round Up of Ohio Progressive Blogs » | Jennifer Martinez Atzberger running as an indepen... » | Morning Round Up of Ohio Progressive Blogs » 

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 

Yikes.. Overheard at lunch and Downtown Baghdad Blues

Hey Everyone. Sorry I have been absent for so long. First - my two year old was sick and then I got sick too! Yuck. It was horrible. You just don't bounce back very quickly when you are in the home stretches of pregnancy. I am pretty much better now.

My husband took a day off work yesterday to give me a little break with the toddler. It was nice. He took her to playgroup and then we went out for lunch. Pretty relaxing. We went to lunch at a Mexican place in an eastside cleveland suburb. (which is much more red than Cleve Hts but still in Cuyahoga County) I had to get everything mild due to heartburn but I still enjoyed it.

While I was waiting at the table I overheard 2 nicely dressed middle aged women talking about what seemed like a common /aquaintence/relative (perhaps a daughter) who was in college and had a new boyfriend. Apparently, the boyfriend was introduced to both of them at a recent event and they commented on how nice and handsome he seemed. Blah. Blah. But then..... the mood changed and one woman said, "Yeah, but he's is a Republican". (In a way that conveyed that maybe the whole "nice thing" was an act and she didn't trust him completely.) And then the other one said "Well, she's young". Ha! I thought that was funny. Of course, there are "nice" republicans but the whole lot is getting dirtied by the disgusting politicians that currently represent them.

Then the other day, I was listening to "Left of Center" on Sirius and I heard this great song. Downtown Baghdad Blues. It is from an Irish band called Black 47. It is a celtic protest song. Here are the lyrics-

Downtown Baghdad Blues
Got a buddy in Najaf, he’s playing it straight
Prays to the Lord Jesus Christ every night
Got a homey in Samarra goin’ up the walls
Every time he hears an Islamic prayer call
Me, I don’t care much for Jesus or Mohammed
They don’t stop bullets to the best of my knowledge
Later for the both of you, catch you in eternity
Hopefully, toward the end of this century

I didn’t want to come here, I didn’t get to choose
I got the hup, two, three, four Downtown Baghdad Blues.

I wish I was back home rootin’ for the Padres
’Stead of dodgin’ bullets from Mookie El Sadr
I wish I was back in the land of Guiliani
Instead of takin’ heat from Ayatollah Sistani
Don’t know what I’m doin’, but one thing is clear
Twenty years old, I can kill but I can’t buy a beer
Keep your head down, don’t get your brain cells fried
You’ll be home by Christmas, dead or alive.

I wish I was back in the US of A
Instead of dodgin’ rockets in Fallujiay
There’s a lady with my tattoo on her so special
Dream of her and me out in the desert
She ridin’ round in her Daddy’s Ford Explorer
I’m kickin’ in doors, hey, I thought this war was over
Got sand in my nose, sand in my eyes
But the sand can’t cover up the sights of a
Sniper with my number, got his finger on the trigger
Hope my baby’s okay, I’m still waitin’ for a letter
All I get are emails, so much left unsaid
It’s hot here, baby, but it’s so cold inside my head.

Mission accomplished, yeah, up on deck
Got no armor for my Humvee, I’m left facin’ this train wreck
Shia don’t like me, want Islamic Revolution
Sunni say civil war is part of the solution
Maybe someday there’ll be peace in Fallujah
McDonald’s on the boulevard, Cadillac cruisin’
I’m tryin’ hard to keep this whole thing straight
But will someone tell me what am I doin’ here in the first place?

I am a little slow when it comes to music nowadays so I wouldn't be surprised if many of you were aware of this song but if you haven't already heard it -
You can listen to it here:
Downtown Baghdad Blues - Black 47

So, hearing that song reminded me of the Bright Eyes song - When the President Talks to God. It is not very subtle but it sumed up my feelings pretty well when it came out last year. Here are the lyrics-

"When the President Talks to God"

When the president talks to God
Are the conversations brief or long?
Does he ask to rape our women's' rights
And send poor farm kids off to die?
Does God suggest an oil hike
When the president talks to God?

When the president talks to God
Are the consonants all hard or soft?
Is he resolute all down the line?
Is every issue black or white?
Does what God say ever change his mind
When the president talks to God?

When the president talks to God
Does he fake that drawl or merely nod?
Agree which convicts should be killed?
Where prisons should be built and filled?
Which voter fraud must be concealed
When the president talks to God?

When the president talks to God
I wonder which one plays the better cop
We should find some jobs. the ghetto's broke
No, they're lazy, George, I say we don't
Just give 'em more liquor stores and dirty coke
That's what God recommends

When the president talks to God
Do they drink near beer and go play golf
While they pick which countries to invade
Which Muslim souls still can be saved?
I guess god just calls a spade a spade
When the president talks to God

When the president talks to God
Does he ever think that maybe he's not?
That that voice is just inside his head
When he kneels next to the presidential bed
Does he ever smell his own bullshit
When the president talks to God?

I doubt it

I doubt it


You can watch him perform the song on the Tonight Show here:
http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2005/05/when_the_presid.html

If you know of any other Bush Administration protest songs I should check out - leave me a link. Like I said, I am a little slow with music so it is exciting for me to find something new.

Anyways...That is what has been going on with me. I'll get back to "Morning Round Up" tomorrow. It seems like I have missed alot. So, if I have time - expect a "Best of the Week" type blog as I get caught up on what everyone has been talking about lately.

Take Care and stay well!

Tags:,, ,

Glad your up and better. Children and illness is a pain in the rear, this I know.

I had a crash course in being sick a few months ago, glad to hear your well and its nothing serious.

TV On the Radio's "Dry Drunk Emperor" is another great anti-Bush track. You can download it here:

http://tgrec.com/bands/album.php?id=367

Post a Comment