« Home | This is the week » | Why the Left is Right - Liberal Quotes » | Anything but that! » | Morning Round Up of Ohio Progressive Blogs (Primar... » | Ken Blackwell thinks urban radio listeners are stu... » | 200 election workers refusing(?) to work due to n... » | Kuncinich confronts TowerCity over Mifunes right t... » | Lessons from the Neighbor-to-Neighbor Organizing D... » | New Poll shows Ohio is ready for change (Brown edg... » | Morning Round Up of Ohio Progressive Blogs (Monday... » 

Friday, May 19, 2006 

Konrad is home!

We had a few minor complications and did not get out of the hospital until today.

Konrad was born at 5:07pm on Friday the 12th. The C-section went very smoothly and my husband actually watched a lot of it, peeking over the curtain in the operating room. I guess, it is pretty gross but interesting.

Stats:
weight: 7lb. 12oz.
length: 19.5 in.

Konrad had some difficulty breathing. There are several potential causes of this: TTN - something normal that happens with some c-section babies, pneumonia, or respiratory distress syndrome (immature lungs). The doctors don't know which one it was since all causes have the same symptoms but they seem to be leaning toward the TTN .

Konrad was on a slight mixture of oxygen that he recieved through a tube attached to his nostrils. He did not have to go on a ventilator -- which is a good thing.

So, here are the photos..





It looks a lot worse than it was. There were many babies in the Special Care Nursery that were really small and having a much rougher time than Konrad. He actually did very well and might have even come home sooner if they did not have to finish his complete round of antibiotics (just in case it was pneunomia). I am very grateful for his strength and good health.

My husband and I were allowed to board in the hospital so we could be close to Konrad and so I could breastfeed as soon as he was able. The hospital also loaned me a very nice breast pump to keep my milk supply steady.

The nurses and staff at Hillcrest were very nice. I think thier understanding and ability/willingness to communicate with me really eased my situation by decreasing a lot of stress. The ability to board at the hospital also really helped my mental state - having to leave the hospital without my son would have been pretty devestating. So, I just want to thank all of the nurses that go above and beyond to care for moms like me.

I think that is all I have for the update today. We'll have to wait and see how quickly I'll get back to blogging on a regular basis.

To everyone that sent emails, called or left comments wishing me well - Thank you. I appreciated it - it is especially nice when my "imaginary" internet friends become a real part of my life. Thanks.

Hooray! Congratulations to you and Mashya, and welcome to little Konrad!

Excellent!

There's nothing like holding your child for the first time, even for us guys!

Congrats!

Mazel Tov to all!

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Give Conrad a hug for me.

Congratulations! And to you and your family, an Irish Blessing...

"May God be with you and bless you,
May you see your children's children,
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward."

Peace and health to you and yours.

Marlipern

Congratulations Cindy and Family.
Health and Happiness to all.

scott & michele

Cindy:

Congrats on your new son and everyone's health.

My oldest had much the same complications upon visiting us for the first time. IIRC, and I probably don't, she spent nearly two weeks in the NICU on all kinds of machines and other gizmos. Didn't hold her without some wire draped across her face or twisted around my wrist during that time.

Upshot: no long term effects and she's perfectly well, if a full of drama, nearly 12 years later.

Hope your experience is the same, minus the drama!

Glad both you and Konrad are in good health.

At last, relief. It wasn't the absence from the blog. It was just not knowing why the long silence. Funny how worried I can be about someone I know so slightly. It's so great to hear that all are fine.

Take all the time you need for your recuperation and family needs. My heartfelt congratulations to you, a yippee for Konrad and for your hubster, enjoy the diaper changes now before the solid foods begin!

Warm wishes to your whole family.

That mess of tubes and wires looks a lot more intimidating than it is, of course. It looks like Konrad is off to a good start, so I'll just add my congratulations and well-wishes!

Congratulations to you, and Welcome to Konrad!

Congratulations!

Cindy,

I'm glad everything ended up okay and that you have a beautiful new member of your family.

Congratulations and best wishes for a happy healthy future for Konrad and all of you.

:-)

I know I'm a bit late, but congratulations! I was born at Hillcrest almost 30 years ago, so they do good work there!

Congratulations, Cindy! What a delightful piece of news to land upon on one's very first trip to your blog!

Post a Comment